Friday, March 7, 2014

Sunset series # 3 ~ Princes Park

So Wednesday night was my final 8k run in the Brooks Sunset Series around Princess Park.

It was a weird start to the night as my most of mates pulled out at the last minute so I was there nice & early having to kill time on own my until one friend did arrive. Whilst I was waiting I decided to go for a wonder to find the toilets. The starting area was next to Optus Oval so we ended up up having to walk about 400m around the oval to find them inside the stadium. Not only that, when I found where the toilets were I still couldn't see the ladies, and a gentleman asked if I was ok as I looked a little lost. It was Anthony Koutoufides (ex Carlton player) - They ended up being right in front of me, but the entrance was to the side hence I couldn't see the ladies sign - How embarrassing..


Set and ready to go
Anyways back to my run. As most fun runs go, my friend Alex and I started together but she sped off in front of me whilst I plodded along behind. I'm happy to say that my plodding pace is much quicker these days as I averaged around the 6.15 / 6.30 min per km pace instead of the old 6.45/7 min per k pace. I really wanted to push myself in this race to try and not only get a PB but  crack 50 mins.

As usual my first few k's were pretty good, I slowed down a little between the 4 & 6 kilometer cause I wasn't sure if I could keep up the pace. I got to the 6 k mark and decided to skip the water stop and smash out the last 2 k's, and that i did. I ended up doing the last kilometer in 5 mins. I couldn't believe it. It felt good, but still a long way to keep that pace up for the duration of a race.

The course
My official time for the race was 51:22;1, however my nike app said it was 8.1 km and as I ticked over 8km's it said 50.30.. Not quite under 50 mins I had hoped for but still very happy as it was another 2 mins faster than my last tan run.. Unfortunately I've paid the price though as I'm now nursing a twinged glute and hobbling around. I guess that's why haven't I pushed myself too hard before cause I'm to scared of injuring myself and never really know how far is too far.

Alex and I after smashing our PB's
I loved this series, and would highly recommend you sign up next time. It really gives you the opportunity to keep smashing those PB's and see your improvements all way. Below, you will see all my results for the 3 races. Overall, a successful series and very happy.

 Race One Results
 Race Two Results
 Race Three Results
Don't forget you can check out all my race results here
Enjoy the long weekend, and Happy running xo

No comments:

Post a Comment