Friday, February 21, 2014

Sunset Series # 2 ~ The Tan

So Wednesday night was my second run in the Brooks Sunset Series around the Tan.

Of course being in Melbourne anything's possible when it comes to the weather. We copped the first big down pour we had in weeks and not to mention some thunder in there as well.  The weather was crazy but it wasn't gonna stop me and Louise. Most of our friends who were also going to run in the event, dropped off like flies, but I can always rely on Lou.

Huddled under tree waiting and watching the rain roll through

 The hardest part was waiting around the half n hour prior to the start of the race. It was pouring and we all huddled under any under tree / tent we could find. The MC joked about how at the same event this time last year they were handing out ice blocks due to extreme heat and had to postpone the starting time.
That's Melbourne for you! 
 
Lou and I getting our selves ready

The numbers were well down in comparison to the zoo run and as a result we were a bit excited cause it meant we got a possie right up the front on the starting line. As we took off, I was worried. Everyone seem to fly past me, around the 5 min per km speed and here I was plodding along about 6.30-7 min per km. It took me a little while to get into a groove as just around the first corner we had to tackle the Anderson Street hill. The famous hill that everyone loves to hate. In the back of my head, I kept hearing Dad's words, "Attack the hills, Attack"... And that I did. I was so happy that not only did I fly up the hill, but I didn't give up, even though plenty of the runners around me didn't even seem to want to try. Once we got up that hill the rest of the first lap was pretty cruisy. It was drizzling but otherwise perfect conditions.

Once I got through the first few K's I finally got myself into a rhythm and was feeling pretty good. That was until I completed the first lap only to see the first competitor run over the finishing line. He lapped me and did two laps to my one. I couldn't believe it..  I just had to keep my head down and keep going. So back up the Anderson St I had to go for the 2nd time. I still attacked it, but was a little bit slower this time. By the last couple of K's the rain just got heavier and heavier, but for a strange reason I actually really enjoyed it.


I finally made it over the finish line in 53 mins. I was stoked. A new PB and three mins quicker than my zoo run two weeks ago. Whilst it may seem slow to others, it was a personal best for me and I was just happy to get through it after the shambles of my longer run last Saturday. When I did my first 8kms around the tan in May last year it took me 58 mins so I'm very happy with my progress and how far I've come over the last twelve months.

So thanks Lou for not piking. I really enjoyed our night and run together. Let's bring on the final run of the series in two weeks time and smash our PB's yet again. 
 
Night all, and
Happy Running x 

Soaked and walking back to the train station

No comments:

Post a Comment