Sunday, January 19, 2014

New Year Resolution Run

After Melbourne's worst heat wave ever on record (4 consecutive days over 40 degrees), we were relieved that the cool change came in time for us to compete in our first official fun run of 2014. The Coburg Harriers, organised a very well run fun run this morning and it was most enjoyable. The 6km course took as around the race track and onto a trail where we followed a creek and ran up and down a hilly windy trail. Although at the time it felt like we were mostly going up hills!

I struggled a little as I hadn't been out all week due to the heat and it took me a couple of K's to get into the groove, however for most of the run I felt pretty good. Annoyingly, I copped yet another big stitch whilst trying to battle a hill during the 5th kilometer but somehow managed to get through it. I had almost slowed down to a walk, took a few deep breaths, and thankfully it soon disappeared. It's so frustrating as I don't know what's causing them. This morning I ate toast with honey on it about 2 hrs before the race (which a professional had recommended to try at a seminar I attended)... So is it what I'm eating; is it not enough water; do I lack salt.. It baffles me and I just have to keep sucking it up!! It's most frustrating so if any of you could shed some light it would be greatly appreciated.

My official time this morning, 39.59 which meant I managed to keep up an average pace of 6.45mins per km.. Pretty happy with that considering the first 5km I ran last year I took 38mins. The winner did it in 29 mins so something to strive towards I suppose.

So thankyou Raelene for finding such a great fun run & for the pic below. What a great morning! x

 DONE & DUSTED ~ Celebrating our first official fun run for 2014
 ~ we even got a certificate.
Now my focus turns to my next challenge which is the Sunset Series. It's a series of three 8km runs around the Zoo, then the Tan and finally Princes Park. Over the next couple of months I'm really hoping to work on my speed and endurance to get me to my first 15km in April at the Run for the Kids then onto my first half later this year. 

 So on that note, until next time, Happy Running. 

PS. If you're missing my foodie pics, you can find them on Instragram by follow me under skeats19. You can also view the latest pics in a summary from the right hand column of this blog :).

No comments:

Post a Comment